Hebe Offering Cup to Jupiter
Hebe Offering Cup to Jupiter in the form of an Eagle c1790 by Italian Painter Gaspare Landi (1756 – 1830) of the Neoclassic period who was active in the city of Piacenza in Northern Italy.
This is a portrait of the goddess of youth, Hebe, the daughter of the Greek god Zeus and his oldest sister Hera. Hebe is the cup bearer for the gods and goddesses of Mount Olympus, serving them their nectar and ambrosia.
Here we see Hebe half nude wearing a green cloth about her waist and overlapping her right forearm, holding a large golden cup in her right hand, while Jupiter in the form of an eagle with outstretched wings and his left claw on her arm drinks from the golden cup.
Hebe Offering Cup to Jupiter is a retouched digital art old masters reproduction of a public domain image which you can purchase as a rolled canvas print online.
Info Below Derived From Wikipedia.org
In 1781 Gaspare obtained a subsidy to study painting in Rome from a patron and distant relative, Marquis Giambattista Landi; he then moved to Rome to work under Domenico Corvi and Pompeo Battoni.
Diomedes and Ulysses bearing off the Palladium c1783 and the Marriage of Abraham and Sarah were once in the Pinacoteca at Parma
While above one of the altars in the church of the Santa Casa at Loreto, there is a later work by Landi showing the Madonna Addolorata.
Landi also had a large work the fainting of Christ as he struggles along over the road to Calvary weighted down by the burden of the Cross, Lo Spasimo for San Giovanni in Canale at Piacenza.
The painting hung opposite Vincenzo Camuccini’s Presentation, who was consider a rival to Landi. Landi also painted the Deposition of the Virgin in the Tomb and Apostles at the empty Tomb of the Virgin c1804 for the choir of the Duomo of Piacenza.
In 1805, Landi became a member of the Accademia di San Luca of Rome; in 1812 he became professor on the theory of painting, and in 1817 became the president of the Academia di San Luca.
He was also made a Chevalier of the Order of the Iron Crown by the Emperor, of the Order of San Giuseppe, and of a Neapolitan order by the King of Naples.
About 1820 Landi returned to Piacenza, intending to remain there; but soon tired of the monotonous existence of a provincial town and in 1824 moved back to Rome.
His last work was an Assumption and was placed in the church of San Francesco di Paola in Naples. He was offered a post as professor of the Academy of Venice, but instead chose to remain as the president of the Academia di San Luca; he then returned to Piacenza where he passed away in 1829.