Marchesa Marianna Florenzi
Marchesa Marianna Florenzi (1802 – 1870) c1824 by German Painter Heinrich Maria von Hess (1798 – 1863); a member of the Nazarene Movement and primarily a painter of religious and mythological subjects.
This portrait of Marchesa Marianna Florenzi shows her at the age of 22, sitting in alcove of a large garden, surrounded by circular blueish-green marble columns and off white rectangular columns that form a wall behind her.
She is sitting on a cushioned stone bench, wearing a full length red coat with black buttons on the far outside, that is trimmed with blue fur accents along the collar, shoulders, wrist and bottom; and an orange belt with a diamond rectangular buckle that keeps the coat closed.
Beneath the coat we can see a full length white dress that is ruffled in three layers below the knee, and that she is wearing white stockings and black leather shoes.
While in her left hand that has a gold ring on her fourth finger she is holding a pink and violet flower, and with her right hand that has green gemstone and gold ring on her fourth finger she is holding on to a bone white hat with feathers on the side and a lace ribbon across the top that also forms a chin strap.
To her left is a very large potted vase that rest on a beautiful tiled floor, that has two large pink ball flowers growing from the soil in it; and to her right is the pathway that opens on to a garden with a large functional water fountain, trees that have been trimmed to form an arch for a beautiful view from the balcony that overlooks the city in the far distance.
Marchesa Marianna Florenzi is a retouched digital art old masters reproduction of a public domain image.
Info Below Derived From Wikipedia.org
Ludwig was the son of the classicist (classical study of antiquity) and philhellene (intellectual movement for the admiration of Greece at the turn of 19th century) Friedrich Thiersch, who was born in Munich Germany in 1825.
He had two older brothers; one was the surgeon Karl Thiersch (1822 – 1895) and the other was the theologian H. W. J. Thiersch (1817 – 1885).
Ludwig began is artistic education as an attendee of the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich, studying sculpture; but after a few years changed over to painting and became the student of three German Painters; Heinrich Maria von Hess (1798 – 1863) of the Nazarene Movement (a German Romantic Movement who’s aim was to revive spirituality in art); Julius Schnorr von Carolsfeld (1794 – 1872 ), primarily a painter of biblical subjects, and Karl Schorn (1803 – 1850), as well as a painter he was also a chess master.
After completing his studies at the Academy of Fine Arts 1848, he painted the pieces Sakuntala (is the wife of Dushyanta and the mother of Emperor Bharata), and a scene of Camissards (were Huguenots or French Protestants who held to the Reformed, or Calvinist, tradition of Protestantism. n the early 1700s, they raised a resistance against the persecutions which followed Louis XIV’s Edict of Fontainebleau, making Protestantism illegal.)
On the completion of these works he then ventured off to Rome, Italy; where he sketched scenes of the daily lives of the Italian people and painted the piece Hiob unter seinen Freunden (Job among his friends ).
In 1852 he made he traveled to Athens, Greece with his father, where he replaced Italian Painter, Physician and amateur Archaeologist Rafaello Ceccoli (1800 – 1850); at the Athens School of Fine Arts; becoming interested in Byzantine Art.
During this from 1852 – 1855 Ludwig would painting several frescoes in Greek Churches and was a leading member of the movement to modernize Byzantine Art by introducing Western elements, such as naturalistic perspective and anatomy; which met with fierce Greek opposition from those that saw such reforms as a means of replacing longstanding Greek Traditions with foreign ones.
Throughout the rest of his life Ludwig would travel to different cities painting for patrons and creating frescoes for churches, which was particularly notable along with the work done by Italian Painter Ludwig Seitz (1844 – 1908) and French Jean-Hippolyte Flandrin (1809 – 1864); he is considered to have led the revival in Western European Ecclesiastical Art.