Polyhymnia, Muse of Eloquence
Polyhymnia, Muse of Eloquence c1800 by French Painter Charles Meynier (1763 or 68 – 1832) specializing in historical subjects of the late 18th and early 19th century
This portrait of the Greek Mythological Muse of Eloquence known as Polyhymnia, shows her standing in front of a red cushioned chair with lion head armrest and a brass staff resting on the side of the chair with both of her arms out stretched to her left.
She is wearing a greyish blue and orange garment with a light blue kerchief on her head that is held in place by the crown she is wearing.
Behind her on a tall square marble column is the bust of the Greek Statesman and Orator of ancient Athens Demosthenes [(ΔΗΜΟΣΘEΝΗΣ) 384 BC – 322 BC] which makes up the marble enclave that she is standing on.
In the background is a deep blue night sky with an red/orange lighting bolt cutting across it over a blue ocean.
This is a retouched digital art old masters reproduction of a public domain image is available as a rolled canvas print online.
Info Below Derived From Wikipedia.org
Meynier was the son of a tailor; and a young age showed a talent for art, and began his training under the mentorship of by French Draughtsman and EngraverPierre-Philippe Choffard *1731 – 1809).
As a student of French Neoclassical and Historical Painter François-André Vincent (1746 – 1816), Meynier won the second prize in the 1789 prix de Rome competition; while Anne-Louis Girodet de Roussy-Trioson took first prize. Four years later in 1793 Meynier returned to Paris.
In 1815 Meynier became a member of the Académie de France à Rome; and during the period between 1819 to 1822, he created the grand decoration for the ceiling’s of the Louvre; as well as creating numerous works that glorified the Napoleonic legend, which for the most part remains in the Château de Versailles.
He also made designs for the bas-reliefs and statues on the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel and the Paris Bourse. From 1816 onward, Meynier was a member of the Académie des Beaux-Arts; and in 1819 he was appointed teacher at the École des Beaux-Arts.